Frequently Asked Questions

What will happen to my records?

Arizona state law requires that adoption records be kept for 99 years. All of our records will go to the Department of Children's Services. We have recently learned that we are only able to give our records to an Arizona agency. Since there is no other agency in Arizona working with ESWS, our records will only go to the Department of Children's Services (DCS). For more information, contact:

Arizona Department of Child Safety
Central Records Coordinating Unit
Site Code C010-19
P.O. Box 6030
Phoenix, AZ 85005-6030
Main Phone: (602) 255-2500
Fax: (602) 254-1409

When requesting records, please contact the Arizona Department of Child Safety (DCS) at (602) 255-2500 for assistance in requesting closed records. All requests will be processed through the DSC Central Records Coordinating Unit (CRCU). You may also download a records request form on the DCS website and fax it directly to CRCU at (602) 254-1409. The form required is CSO-1036A. These forms are accessible at and available in the "Case File Records" section of the webpage.

What will happen to my records if I adopted while living in a state other than Arizona?

For families who have adopted through DSW but live out of state, DCS will have all of your records. However, your local home study/post-placement agency will have many records, too. They can also help to answer process questions about your state.

What will happen to my records if I adopted through an out-of-state agency but DSW completed my home study and post-placement services?

For those of you who did not adopt through Korea and ESWS, your home study and post-placement records will be with DCS. However, your placement agency will have those records as well as all of your placement paperwork.


We have made arrangements with our friends at Dillon International in Tulsa, Oklahoma to help you with many things. Since we are unable to give them your contact information, we strongly suggest that you send your contact information to them so that they can be in touch with you should ESWS want to reach you regarding information from foster mother, birth family, sibling calls, etc.

Send an email to: so they can put you on their contact list. It is VERY IMPORTANT for ESWS to have a way to contact you should they have information to share with you.

How do I send a letter to my child's foster mother?

Dillon International will forward your letter. Please contact Mary Anne Mesko at: or mail it to:

Dillon International
7335 S. Lewis Ave., Suite 302
Tulsa, OK 74136

Should you require translation services, the fees are listed below:

• From English Korean: $20 per page
• From Korean English: $30 per page

In addition, there is a $5 shipping/processing fee per letter. Families have the option to seek out their own translation services if so desired; however the shipping fees will still apply. Furthermore, if families choose to send pictures without a letter, the processing fees still remain.

If ESWS has information for me, or my child's foster mother sends a letter or gift, how can I be contacted?

If you have given Dillon International your contact information, they will be in touch with you to make arrangements to send it to you.

I am an adult adoptee. How do I begin a birth family search?

ESWS requests all contact come through a US adoption agency. Please contact Mary Anne Mesko at:

My family is planning a trip to Korea and we would like to visit ESWS and meet our foster mother. Who do contact?

Contact Lisa at:

My family would like to go on a Homeland Tour – who should we contact?

Dillon International has tours to Korea and ESWS in particular. For information on tours to Korea, please contact

We have adoption questions/concerns. Who can we contact?

Dillon International can also be a resource should you need to talk about a family issue regarding adoption. Contact Mary Anne Mesko at:

We would like to send sponsorship for a child or a donation to ESWS. How do we do that?

Please follow the steps below to donate. Your donation will go straight to Eastern for the benefit of your sponsored child or the sponsored program. Unfortunately, sending money to ESWS this way will not qualify for a tax deduction.

1) Go to the website: and click on the “Donate Now” button (additional fees may apply)
2) Choose your fund purpose. For a sponsorship, choose “Children In Need”
3) Please type your sponsored child’s name and sponsor number in the message box.

If you would like to send a yearly donation to the General Fund at ESWS and would like to be able to receive the tax deduction, send your donation to Dillon International and specify that it is for ESWS. Their contact information is:

Dillon International
7335 S. Lewis Ave., Suite 302
Tulsa, OK 74136

I have been donating to DSW through United Way and others – now what?

Please discontinue sending that money to DSW now. We will not be able to accept any donations after April 20th. We have appreciated your donations so much over the years and know that another worthy organization would love to benefit from those donations.

How can our families remain in contact and plan cultural events?

If someone would like to start a parent group and wants us to send an email to the group with your contact information, please let us know and we will send out a group email to all of our families. We must receive that information by April 15th.

How long with DSW keep its email address and phone?

We plan to keep at least through the end of April. We may need to be in contact with you for something as we work through the process of closing a non-profit agency. You can reach us for any necessary business at until that time. We plan to discontinue our telephone at that same time.

What should I do if I am planning to adopt again in the very near future?

If you want us to send your home study to another agency before we close, please contact us at

How do we get a letter to use for Income Tax purposed for the sponsorship money we sent in 2017?

We will be sending you a letter for tax purposes in the near future.

A few closing thoughts about paperwork:

Should you find that you need another copy of your Order of Adoption, Arizona families can purchase one at the Clerk of the Court's office. For those who adopted their child while living in another state, please contact your home study/post-placement agency for direction.

If you or your child has lost his/her Certificate of Citizenship paper, a new one can be purchased through USCIS. If your child arrived prior to July 1,2013 and you have never applied for a Certificate of Citizenship for your child, we strongly urge you to do so.

Please make sure that your child's Social Security card is in his/her American name and that you check with Social Security to make sure that his/her status is listed as Citizen. If your child is NOT listed as a citizen, IT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO CHANGE THE RECORDS TO REFLECT CITIZEN. Contact Social Security for this.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us prior to the end of April of 2017 and we will try to help you.

We have loved hearing from you over the years! For those of you who would like to stay in touch after April 30th, you can reach us at:

While we will be unable to help you with social work issues, we would love to hear from you and continue to see pictures of your family!